Friday, November 13, 2009

You know you just shouldn't cook when.......

1. Your 33 1/2 weeks pregnant.....

2. You've had 4 1/2 hours of sleep.....

3. Your dealing with "cancer" in the house......

4. Or when you actually attempt... almost 3 of the 3 things you made for dinner turn out to be a total disaster.....and what you've worked so hard on all afternoon ends up looking like this.....


So tonights dinner menu consisted of this.....Potato Soup, Homemade bread and pumpkin bread for dessert....this was actually a meal that was graciously delivered to us last week by a good friend and I decided today to try and replicate the entire meal so we could enjoy another round of it.....
First order of business was the pumpkin bread....the batter is enough to be divided into 2 loaves....which I did....I proceeded to bake the first one...and after realizing I read the actual amount of time it needed to cook wrong....I adjusted the time and let it continue to cook....but it still came out of the oven a complete "flop"....so I realized it really just must have been my pan because I followed the recipe exactly.....the second batch was placed in the oven in a different pan and there was great hope that this loaf would actually be edible....it started out quite promising....but again after the allotted cooking time it too "flopped"......When we actually started "cross examining" the bread and what possibly could have gone wrong...I realized I forgot to add the flour....probably one of the most key ingredients.....

Second on the menu - Homemade bread....I again followed the recipe to a "T" - bread dough was actually made in the bread machine and then I formed it into two loaves and let it rise before placing it in the oven...easy!! Well after 25 minutes of baking - just like the recipe said - again my bread wasn't done...and I began to realize again - what could possibly be wrong.....ah ha! - I forgot to turn the oven back on.....so the bread really had just cooked in a warm oven that had been turned off when the pumpkin bread was done baking and never turned back on.....We did remedy the problem - the bread cooked for about another 10 minutes at the "correct" temperature and turned out for the most part......

And finally onto the Homemade Potato Soup.....once again I was very careful to follow the recipe...and truthfully even had the thought "I can't possibly screw this up"....Everything was going so well.....2 steps remaining.....thicken the soup up with a little corn starch and add some cheese.....I made a nice paste of corn starch and water....even added a little extra corn starch....just to make sure it thickened nicely.....mind you we had been letting this soup already cook on the stove for the last hour.....I then proceeded to dump the "paste" into the soup that was simmering ever so nicely.....and suddenly the soup "ERUPTED!!!" - Total volcano - soup everywhere....usually turning off the burner makes the "boil" simmer down....not this time - there was no stopping it....what did I possibly do this time??? - Ah Ha - the recipe called for me to thicken it with corn starch...and I so absent mindedly made my lovely paste with BAKING SODA!!! - Soup ruined!!

Dinner tonight - Leftovers for the kids.....Qdoba for the adults!

Do we even dare try again???

10 comments:

Candis Berge said...

Oh Suzie, that was the funniest post... thanks for sharing that! I had to read it aloud to Wally since I was laughing and had to tell him what was so funny!

We are, of course, remembering you in prayer these coming days with so much on your plate (except for potato soup, pumpkin bread...) :)

Suzie said...

Thanks Candis - we got a good laugh from your comment!!!

Rachel said...

I'm sorry, but I read this post sitting by myself in my living room and I'm laughing OUT LOUD because it's just too funny and I can totally relate! :) I'm impressed you attempted all of that! Also wanted to let you know that I'm praying for your family.

Stacy said...

Oh, Suzie! You DO make me laugh! This sounds so very much like something I might do - without all of the excuses to blame it on :) Hope you enjoyed your Qdoba!

Stacy

AmandaS said...

OH boy do I ever understand that! Especially the baking soda as a "thickener". I once made Baking "Soda" biscuits (instead of baking powder biscuits). Whooo-hooo were they awful!

Thanks for the laugh!

DAVE said...

grasshoperett you can bring the pot down to the shop and we can run it through the hot tank should come out like new

Melanie said...

Suz, what a funny story - although I'm sure it wasn't so funny to you. Dinner disasters (X3) are the worst!

Noelle said...

Love it!! Thanks for the laugh!

Lund7 said...

Hi, I found your blog through a prayer request from someone at our church...Eric went here when he lived in Eagan.

Just wanted to let you know I am praying for your family. I am a cancer survivor from Non-hodgkins Lymphoma...it's been 17 years now!! Mine was a similar story...thought it was a virus and treated it with antiotics!

I'd love to follow your blog! What a beautiful family you have! Stop by my blogs when you get a chance!

Blessings, Lynda
http://lund7.blogspot.com
http://soxthatrock.blogspot.com

Klings said...

I too laughed all the way through your post. Bria kept coming over and asking what was so funny. Of course, she couldn't understand, but anyone who has ever cooked before understands.

We are praying for comfort and healing for your whole family.